Saturday, July 13, 2013

St. Therese and Me

I have never had a great devotion to St. Therese, even though I am attracted to the Carmelite spirituality, my confirmation saint is St. Teresa of Avila, and I have worn the brown scapular since before I was Catholic.

I don’t really know why I haven’t been more attracted to St. Therese, but a while back I started reading her autobiography, and became much more interested. I found a prayer to her in my prayer book and started praying it every morning. Then…after more time passed…I don’t know…I just stopped. I didn’t “feel” like anything was happening.

Through the years, I have repeatedly asked St. Therese for roses. I mean, everyone else does, and they all have stories about getting them. I figured, what the heck; I’d ask, and if she delivered, that would be a sign…of something. You can see I don’t always think things out clearly or do them from the right motivation!

But saints are different.

As I enjoyed the roses on the rose bush my daughter gave me for Mother’s Day last year, it suddenly occurred to me that St. Therese might be behind the appearance of these beautiful little gifts!
  





I picked up where I’d left off in her autobiography, and the words I stumbled upon were exactly what I needed to hear. I think she’s trying to tell me something, but I don’t know what. In a way, it seems like she’s just saying, “I want to intercede for you with God. Ask me!” Why she would care so much, I do not know! But I decided I have nothing to lose and everything to gain by asking. So I am.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me.

No comments:

Post a Comment